Blue Heron Review is pleased to announce our nominations for The Orison Anthology, due out summer/2016. Orison Books supports the philosophy that, “… spiritual writing has little to do with subject matter. Such work is not merely about spiritual contemplation, but itself leads the reader into profound contemplation. It is not merely about the sublime, but itself has a sublime effect on the reader.” Congratulations to all of our poets nominated to be included in this special anthology! If any of our contributors are chosen, we will make a special announcement on this page.
Blue Heron Review Nominations:
1. “Luminary” by Laura Bayless (published in the Winter 2015 issue of Blue Heron Review, Issue #3)
2. “You Tell Me Happiness May Not Be Communicable” by Ronda Broatch (published in the Winter 2015 issue of Blue Heron Review, Issue #3)
3. “Lauds, November 2: New Camaldoli Hermitage, Big Sur” by Russell Colver (published in the Winter 2015 Issue of Blue Heron Review, Issue #3)
4. “Vessels of Light” by Elizabeth J Mitchell (published in the Summer 2015 Issue of Blue Heron Review, Issue #4)
5. “Beads of Dew” by Paula Schulz (published in the Summer 2015 Issue of Blue Heron Review, Issue #4)
6. “Sisters Praying” by Chris Abbate (published in the Summer 2015 Issue of Blue Heron Review, Issue #4)
Blue Heron Review will also be selecting poems from our past year of issues for both the Best of the Net prize and the Pushcart Prize. We will make announcements after those nominations are submitted.
(cover art by Jason Iffert)
M J Iuppa * Simon Perchik * Arya F Jenkins * Gonzalinho da Costa * Sandra Lindow * Trina Gaynon * Ann Wehrman * Laura Bayless * Bruce Dethlefsen * Ronda Broatch * Pat Wadsworth * Marzelle Robertson * Allison Grayhurst * Joan McNerney * Mary C Rowin * Philip Dacey * Ronnie Hess * Lauren K Carlson * Andrew Albritton * Sarah Rehfeldt * Wendy Thornton * Kiarra Lynn Smith * Chad Hanson * Robert Nordstrom * Tim Gavin * Chris Abbate * Russell Colver * Steven Bucher * Laura Rebecca Payne * Richard Havenga * Sarah Brown Weitzman * John Grey * Yvette A Schnoeker-Shorb * Tim Suermondt * Jeff Burt * Daniel James Sundahl * Sheelonee Banerjee *
Jason Iffert * Sarah Rehfeldt * Jeannie E Roberts * Richard Havenga * Sharon Auberle * Annette L Grunseth * David Seth Smith * Daniel Adams
Please visit the Blue Heron Review Issue 3 Winter/2015 page of this site, to enjoy a selection of poetic offerings and visual art by our contributors.
Winter is often a time of reflection, stillness, and deep silence, as we travel inward and wear the cloak of this quiet season. After reading and re-reading this issue, I notice that there are recurring themes of grief, remembrance, and longing. I hope you will take the time to savor these poems and images. Since we only have 2 issues per year, each collection is full, colorful, and has many voices. Each poem deserves its own spotlight. Memory finds us in the heart of winter and begs us to listen. Take time out of your day to rest, pull up a chair, and read these beautiful, poignant poems.
With blessings of peace this winter,
Cristina M. R. Norcross
Editor, Blue Heron Review